Wednesday, November 8, 2017

An extensive palette index

Jim Krause starts off "Color Index XL" with a brief, informative introduction to color theory, which leads straight into almost 300 pages of palettes (4 palettes per page).  The way he sections the palettes (warmer, mixed, and cooler palettes) makes it easy to sift through the book.


I personally see a lot of potential in this book as a great starting point while brainstorming new projects, but I can also see how this book would be useful in just about any step of the artistic process.  

My only complaint about this handy palette guide is the four patterns Krause alternates between to lay out the colors for each palette.  It's pretty to look at, but after more than half an hour my eyes start to hurt.  I wish he stuck with one pattern per section of the book (warmer, mixed, cooler palettes), or maybe bigger shapes to lay out the patterns may have helped me here.

Overall, Jim Krause's "Color Index XL" is a very useful guide that I will surely be using regularly in my future projects. 

I have received this book from Blogging for Books for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment