Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Colored pencil revolution

I have often ambled through galleries where a certain painting catches my eye - it looks exactly like real life, and it takes me a minute to realize that the painting is not in fact a photograph.  I always wondered how the artist could accomplish such a feat, replicating the depth of life.

Here's how!  Alyona Nickelsen walks the reader through the process of imitating real-life portraits in bite-size steps.  I did not feel overwhelmed at the material covered in "Colored Pencil Painting Portraits," which was surprising, given just how in-depth and insightful Nickelsen's details were.

The star of this book was the last few pages:  Nickelsen outlines, in detail, the pros and cons of various solvents that work well with colored pencils.  I definitely will refer to these few pages in my future endeavors with colored pencils.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment