Saturday, September 17, 2016

"The After Party" by Jana Prikryl

Prikryl's collection of poems has a lot of potential.  There were certain phrases that, in their perfection, I could only stop and ponder the lines before moving on.  I wish that the entirety of the individual poems and in turn the collection of poems could continue with this genius.  I look forward to a day in the future when I can pick up another one of Prikryl's books and be astounded by her growth.  

However, when I first approached this work, I was slightly confused.  Although there were those moments when I was refreshed by her wording - her phrases - but there were other times when her poems were completely beyond my reach.  I hope this was not a flaw on my part.  Perhaps the abrupt transitions factored into the quick mental shift that was needed to follow the progression of poems.  Overall, I enjoyed individual pieces from this collection but was left with the want for something more.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment